Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Venetia Stifler, Artistic Director

Approximately 36 hours and counting before lift off to Shanghai, China. At this moment I feel the need for a nap. After each project Venetia Stifler & CDI completes, I promise myself to never again do another. So how come I’m leading 17 people to China?

I’m doing it again because in my head it seemed exotic and fun. The Forbidden City and the Emperor’s Palace, The water City, the Great Wall, the Pearl market. The dancers and I are walking amidst crowded streets, crushed by people going in all directions. The smells of unfamiliar spices tickling our noses while we hunt for tasty morsels not available in the US. I imagine falling into a vat of pearls, losing myself in the other worldliness of it all.

A very dear friend of mine reminded me that once I arrive in China, I must absorb every single moment – stay calm and really see. I’ve thought about my friend’s advice because it’s the very thing I needed to hear. Artistic Directors sometime forget to stop worrying and just enjoy the ride. We’ve done all we can to be prepared for our teaching and performances and now its time to let go and let the experience unfold.

Yeah right!!!! The little voice in my head says. What if this happens? What if that happens? What if the Chinese think we’re crazy? What if they don’t like us? What if we loose the costumes? What if I say the wrong thing? I’ll ruin US–China relations for the next decade. I feel so responsible!!!!

Be quiet! I say to my little voice. Go take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment