Thursday, May 14, 2009

Erin Polanshek, Dancer

(Journal Entry May 13)

I have to write about our experience today. It was amazing and just what I had hoped this trip would be.

Yesterday we noticed most of the kids being really excited about jazz and hip hop so we decided that would be our focus in class today. When we came in and Venetia told them what we would be doing, they started screaming and cheering with excitement. Jamie started with the warm-up. they did really well and clapped after every combination. They all love Jamie's energy. The have a really hard time with parallel and grounded work. Also sequencing through their bodies. Next Steph did a classical jazz combo. They picked it up quickly and could quickly do it alone. I went next and contrasted to Steph's classical combo with a west coast one. I'm so glad that I got the opportunity to do that, it was awesome. After the first four counts they began screaming and clapping. I threw it at them quickly and some of the really grabbed onto it. You could tell they were so happy to be free and themselves. There were some that really stood out and just took it all in. Garrett was next with hip hop. We got them all pumped up and screaming and hollering. You could tell how much they loved to let go.

After class they couldn't stop smiling and when Venetia said, "I hope you had a good time," a girl jumped out of the crowd and yelled "I am so happy!!" like she couldn't stop the words from coming out of her mouth. Like her soul was so full of happiness that it just burst out. When they were dismissed all of the teachers were rushed with hugs, kisses and girls that wouldn't stop holding our hands and arms. One at a time I think I think I was hugged by every girl. Pictures were taken and it made our hearts so happy. That two hours made the whole trip worth it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment